“ If You Give A Mouse A Cookie”was the title of one of my children’s favorite childhood books. Here at Stony Point Center, just like the little mouse in the book, we all love the delicious freshly baked cookies coming from our new state of the art convection baking oven.
Chocolate chip cookies continue to be the number one surveyed favorite of most children and adults. Here at Stony Point Center, we found a way to create a healthier, gluten-free version of our beloved chocolate chip cookie. We even figured out a vegan alternative.
Just like the mouse's story suggests, the possibilities with this cookie are endless; I love using a variety of toppings within the same batch, see the cookies in the picture. Something for every taste and it looks so pretty.
Try a batch and “make it your dish !!”
Hint : ALWAYS read a recipe top to bottom before starting.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
Yields 10 cookies
Preheat oven to 350
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons water mixed
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
Let’s get Cooking
- Mix flaxseed meal with water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Wisk in the coconut oil, coconut sugar and lemon extract.
- Mix in the oat flour, rolled oats, shredded coconut, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in chocolate and/or alternative mix-ins
- Spoon onto a nonstick baking tray (lined with either parchment paper or nonstick spray)
- Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes.
‘It’s your dish!’
- Substitutions/additions to make it your own
- Substitute one whole egg for the flaxseed meal/water mixture.
- Use white or brown granulated sugar for coconut sugar
- Try sweetened shredded coconut instead of unsweetened in which case reduce the amount of sugar by 2 tablespoons.
- Try making oat flour by simply putting oats in a food processor.
- Substitute oat flour with white or whole wheat flour.
- Substitute gluten-free oats with regular rolled oats
- Instead of coconut oil try vegetable oil
- Instead of lemon extract for vanilla extract or almond extract
- Swap some or all of the vegan chocolate chips with regular chocolate chips. Or add white chocolate chips, chopped nuts or dried fruit
If you have specific questions regarding the recipes and tips I share or other questions about meals and ingredients, I invite you to reach out to me at email@example.com. Let's start cooking!